Velocities for Routing-Profiles

Hi everyone

I am searching for some Information about the routing profiles being used when using the ORS services. Currently I’m Using the Isochrone-Service (from within R) and I wonder what velocities are being used for which types of streets (for the “driving-car” profile).
I couldn’t find any sort of documentation of this sort and was wondering if you could help me with this issue.

The only results on your webpage couldn’t help me further… see for example Adding a custom profile.

Best
Michael

1 Like

Hi @MichiSchmid,

there are a lot of things that get taken into account when calculating the speeds used for travelling, especially for cars. In general though, any speed limit applied on the way in OSM is given priority, and then if that isn’t available then heuristics are used to generate speed such as the road type, surface material etc. Other code is then applied in a number of instances to try and reduce the speed to take into account that you are not travelling at full speed all of the time, but that is currently under review and likely to change soon.

To get a general idea though, there is a JSON file that defines some default speed limits when the information is not provided in OSM:

Hi @adam,

thanks very much, that’s exactly what i was looking for.

Regarding your comment “any speed limit applied on the way in OSM is given priority” I have a follow-up question. Is there a possibility to see if (and if yes - which) (speed-)information is provided in OSM for a certain area? Or could I assume, that in most cases no such information was provided to OSM (in my case for Switzerland)?

The speed limits would be attached to individual roads rather than areas (e.g. maxspeed=60). You can use something like Overpass Turbo to get an idea of what roads and speeds are tagged (https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/ORq and then click “Run” to see the roads around Zurich)

Hi @adam

Thank you very much - exactly what i was looking for. You were a great help!

Hi @MichiSchmid
There is also this table provided by OSM itself.

best regards

Thanks @amandus - this is also helpful for me.