Wrong hiking routing way - although there are Hiking Paths

Hi,

Sometimes it calculates the wrong hiking route, although though there are hiking trails to the destination. Show this example from “Grimseltor” to “Sustenpass”. Why is the routing leaving the hiking path directly to the Destination? If you change the profile to Cycling it works. Please take a look:

curl -X POST \
  'https://api.openrouteservice.org/v2/directions/foot-hiking/geojson' \
  -H 'Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8' \
  -H 'Accept: application/json, application/geo+json, application/gpx+xml, img/png; charset=utf-8' \
  -H 'Authorization: ##' \
  -d '{"coordinates":[[8.22893,46.70576],[8.44905,46.72868]],"preference":"fastest"}'

Hi @David_Kocher,

this seems to be the case due to this way being a primary road without a sidewalk (see foot flagencoder).
The hiking profile can’t pass it here.

Also the road is closed from november till may.

Probably, the OSM data should be edited here to allow routing for pedestrians.

If pedestrians are allowed on primary roads (wo. sidewalk), the resulting routes would be a lot more “wrong”.

Best regards

Ok, I understand. So the OSM data looks on these important sections worng, because on SwissTopo the road is also hiking path: map.geo.admin.ch

But good to know now, why the routing is sometimes different.

Looking at aerial photographs here, you can see quite clearly that there is a trail next to the main road, which is probably what is used by most hikers. If you sign up with OpenStreetMap, it would be quite easy to add that, then allowing routing to use this but (if you make sure the walking paths connect properly).

I am not sure how long it will take for such a change to become available in ORS though, I’ve added a similar missing walking path 17 days ago, and that still does not seem to be available through ORS. So such a change might take a while. It would be helpful though, it improves both OpenStreetMap and OpenRouteService :slight_smile:

Thanks, I will try it :wink:

1 Like