"Wrong" Hiking Route over Lake

Hi,

when I do a directions Foot-Hiking with the preference = shortest Request from two Points near a Lake with boats, the Route is following the boat Paths over the lake… Doesn’t make a lot of sense for me in the Hike Profile… Is this a bug or not? If I change preference to fastest it work.

You can try (curl):

'https://api.openrouteservice.org/v2/directions/foot-hiking/geojson' \
  -H 'Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8' \
  -H 'Accept: application/json, application/geo+json, application/gpx+xml, img/png; charset=utf-8' \
  -H 'Authorization: ###' \
  -d '{"coordinates":[[8.03743,46.75508],[8.01928,46.73467]],"preference":"shortest"}'

Hey,

no, this is intended behaviour. This is an official ferry, and as such included. The resulting route is the shortest route.

If you don’t want to go by ferry, you can exclude them by adding

"options":{"avoid_features":["ferries"]}

to your request. The clients have this option as well.

Best regards

Thanks for the fast reply and the solution. But why is for example the Direction API not using CableCars with the option Shortest? Or what I do have expect, when use shortest and Hiking Profile with not hiking paths? I mean, are ferries the only thing, which is not “hiking paths” or are there more like that?

Hey,

as far as I know, cable cars (or aerialways in general) are not included in the openrouteservice.

If this is something that you’d like to see, feel free to open an issue in our github repository.

Note, however, that this is not likely to come soon.
Partly, this is because our resources are bound by other tasks, but more importantly, most aerial ways are only operational in the winter. However, many of them do not include information on whether they are operational in the summer, so adding them is highly nontrivial.

Best regards