Whats is the difference between openpoiservice and Pelias

some questions

1. is there any difference between using the operouteservice container and building it from source code in terms of performance, etc because the app is to be used in production.

2. I face 2 places apis on the github one is Pelias and the other one is openpoiservice , which one I’d better use on production environment.

3. Is a linux server with 125GB ram enough for running route and places APIs ? route services will be used only for europe area.

thanks in dvance

Hey,

some answers

1. I don’t think that docker provides a lot of overhead, so I think both are fine.

2. Pelias is a geocoder, i.e. it translates coordinates to addresses or places and vice versa. Openpoiservice is a Point of Interest database. Which one to use depends on what you want to do.

3. According to the openpoiservice-readme, it’ll take roughly 32GB of RAM for Europe. For the ors, assume about twice as much RAM as the pbf file - for Europe, the pbf has roughly 25GB, so around 50GB should suffice. Thus, 125GB of RAM should be enough for both.

Best regards

1 Like

thank you for the information, I followed the instructions on pelias page and built it with one of the example projects the question is how I’m to built it for another counteries that aren’t listed in project folder.

thanks again and again :slight_smile:

Hey,

if you have trouble with pelias, please ask them over at their community chat or their github.

Best regards

2 Likes