Route Returns Very Slow Driving Rate

Using the Directions Post for a short distance on a rural highway.

{“routes”:[{“summary”:{“distance”:13268.9,“duration”:8238.6}

These are the coordinates: “query”:{“coordinates”:[[-82.377,35.7011],[-82.4486,35.665]],“profile”:“driving-car”,“format”:“json”},“engine”:{“version”:“6.6.1”

It should be something on the order of 10 minutes.

Hey,

this whole part of the Blue Ridge Parkway is tagged with access:destination.

The ors will therefore use a speed of 5 km/h to route there (source).

This leads to the travel time of about 2 hours for roughly 10 km, which checks out.

I would agree that using 5 km/h for routes with access:destination is questionable. I have opened an issue about that, if you want feel free to discuss there.

However, I doubt that this is the correct labeling for this highway.
It was introduced about half a year ago, the reason being that the Blue Ridge Parkway “is not a regular means of travel for commercial vehicles” (compare this changeset).

If you are from the area, maybe you know something about legal restrictions for the highway (in form of a physical sign) and could comment on the tagging some more? Compare the osm wiki on usage of destination.

Best regards

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. Yes I imagine that commercial vehicles are not recommended or maybe even prohibited. But it is a normal travel route for cars.

Interestingly OpenStreetMap itself does not exhibit this issue and gives a reasonable routing time. On the link you posted it limits the speed to 45 mph which is probably acceptable, but not 3 mph.

I would agree that destinationSpeed = 5; is not the correct labeling of this.

Can a new designation for something like “scenic” with a limit of 45 mph be applied for these type of routes?

Hey,

according to blueridgeparkway.org, commercial vehicles are not allowed on the parkway.
The wiki recommends tagging this with goods:no and hgv:no.

If this was done, the ors would produce correct results, not allowing hgvs to route the way but for cars, regular speeds would apply. Note, that the speed limit of 45 mph is a legal requirement, which is why it is tagged with maxspeed.

Best regards

1 Like

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I hope the ORS will see this and be able to make the correction.

1 Like

Hey,

just to be clear: this is an issue of the underlying OpenStreetMap data, not of the openrouteservice. Once the data there has changed, the ors will (with a ~2 week delay) respect it as well.

Best regards

Oddly OSM routes correctly at 10 minutes.

I know how to change a map feature in OSM but have no clue how to change the underlying data.

Hey,

sorry if I was not as clear as I thought:
What I meant by “underlying” was that the OpenStreetMap data is the underlying data for the openrouteservice.

That means that if you change the map feature in OSM, the openrouteservice should behave correctly.

Best regards

Got it. Turns out hgv:no was already set so I added goods:no for 38 segments until I found a place where goods: no was set.

Thanks again for the help and now we wait.

1 Like

Great, sounds good :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for your work.

Just stumbled across this issue after a while. Apparently, Blue Ridge Parkway is still incorrectly tagged with access: destination which is the actual reason for the reported long driving time. You need to remove this tag from both ways 150641661 and 291280540 in order to observe reasonable travel times in openrouteservice. Cheers!

1 Like