Labs: openrouteservice + open areas

Hi, I wanted to make openrouteservice work again with open areas, as described in here: GIScience News Blog » Blog Archive » Routing through open spaces – a performance comparison of algorithms
The https://labs.openrouteservice.org/ is down, and I tried to run the code myself, without managing to make it work.
As far as I can see, the code where this is implemented is in here openrouteservice/InFieldGraphBuilder.java at master · GIScience/openrouteservice · GitHub , am I right?
I edited my ors-config.json file to add this to the foot-walking profile:

"graph_processors": {
    "InField": {}
}

It seems to initialize the class, but it never calls createEdges. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Héctor,

thanks for reaching out! I’ve just verified that adding the InField graph processor to the config file initializes it and that the method createEdges is called when building the graphs. Maybe you need to clear the graphs folder between the builds?

However, I observe sth strange. With InFieldGraphBuilder enabled the reported number of nodes and edges in the the Heidelberg test graph decreases. This is quite puzzling to me as I would actually expect quite the opposite. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any difference in routing over open areas. I’ll need to investigate this further.

UPDATE: It turns out there is actually a bug which prevents routing over open areas, see #1186.