How to import ORS Tools from Processing in Python? What are the capabilities of the isochrone mapping tool in Python?

The ORS Tools QGIS Plugin documentation states that ORS is accessible in the Processing module of QGIS. I have not seen ORS Tools listed in the QGIS Processing or Provider Registry. I am trying to use the tool in a standalone script in Python but am having trouble importing the ORS tool set. Could someone assist with this process?

Also, is the ORS Tools module not capable of using a Points layer as input for isochrone mapping? I would like to iterate over features in a layer to create individual isochrones with a range unique to each feature. Using the tool in Python seems to be the best option if I can iterate over points in a layer. If not, what can be used as input?

Here is the statement from the ORS Tools QGIS Plugin documentation regarding isochrone mapping using the QGIS Plugin module:

“It has the same functionality as the isochrone tool with the exception of being able to use Point layers as input. The ID field can be used to join input and output features.”

Hi,

I can’t say much about the QGIS plugin and using it from the processing module, but if you are using a standalone python implementation, then most functionality can be achieved using the openrouteservice python library: GitHub - GIScience/openrouteservice-py: The Python API to consume openrouteservice(s) painlessly!

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response! After examining other topics on the forum and diving into the docs, I was able to set up the Python API. Thanks again!

Hi @Orion_Cardenas,

if you still want to use the plugin directly with a points layer using the qgis plugin:
(if you are on QGIS 3.24)

• open the ORS Tools plugin
  • choose batch jobs
  • choose isochrones from layer
  • click advanced (bottom)
  • copy as qgis_process or Python command as you need

Best regards

1 Like

Hi @amandus,

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!