How often are graphs normally updated?

I am new to openroute service and I just noticed the announcement about delays in the graphs. Totally understand.

My question is under normal conditions how long does it take for changes in OpenStreetMap that would affect routing to usually get visible and usable in openroute service? The types of changes I am actively making now (mainly for biking) include point locations in ways, new ways, way types (e.g. foot paths and cycle paths) changes to surface (e.g. asphalt), changes in width (e.g. 2 meters). I know you may not use all of this information. But the question is, about how long will it normally take for me to be able to use the updated information?

Hi @rjgambrel, each profile takes approximately 3-5 days to build, so when we get the servers stable again we should be able to deliver new graphs once a week as we will have a dedicated builder server for each profile. That said, we build from the osm planet pbf file, which I believe is built once a week in the early hours of Monday morning (UK time), and so when you make an edit it could take up to 12 days to appear (e.g. if you edit on Monday afternoon, that would then be included in the planet file the following monday, and then the servers need 3-5 days to build the graphs).

Hi
I understand you have to solve this problem.
So, today, what the last updated date of the current graph ? Could I see that on the map ?
When I search pedestrian directions, ORS include only few pedestrian crossing and it makes detours for pedestrian (or wheelchair) but not cycle. It’s OK directly with OSM (but whithout via point…). The apparently missing objects were updated 3 years ago.

Sorry for my bad english…

Thanks !

Adam, this was a very good answer. I now understand what your normal schedule will be. Is there any estimate about when you will get up again? I am primarily interested in the bike graphs. ocleyr2lalune made a good suggestion about somehow publishing the “current date” of the graphs. Is that available anywhere so we can peek at it? Right now I just try a little route that should work if the graphs are up to date, but fear that someday that the graphs are up to date, but there is a bug in my test, so I keep waiting for them to be updated but they already are. Perhaps just updating your announcement thread to indicate when an update is made or if an update has not be made yet. Don’t want to distract you from fixing the problem, but it would be good to know the status. Thanks!

We have some plans for putting the date the graphs were built on somewhere in the api response, but at the minute there is not anything that says this date (it is actually more important to know the date of the osm data that is used rather than when the graphs were built).
For now, it seems (fingers crossed) that we have the build process stable again, so if all goes well we will push out new graphs towards the end of next week.

That timing will be great! Hope things work out. I agree that OSM data date is better.

Am not a programmatic user of the api. I just use the web site for course planning.

Thanks again for quick reply.

So a quick update… we are still having issues. We thought we had fixed it as some graphs looked like they built, but now we are getting the same errors during the build process again. We are working flat out (currently around 7 big servers doing different things to try and fix it) to get it back working again, so I will update everyone again when we know more.

Believe me - this is just as frustrating for us as it is for everyone else… thank god for coffee and multiple screens!

Fingers crossed - we will be doing an update today with the latest graphs. Just some final server infrastucture to get done and then we will start

I was just able to test the bicycle routing. The area I had a problem with is now fixed. I will be doing more thorough testing in the future, but for now am happy as a clam. (Is that a thing?)

:+1:

And I think “happy as a clam” is a thing… at least it rings a bell with me…

I am trying to build a route that use a bike path that was added some two months ago to the OSM map. I see it in ors, but cannot route using it. Seems like the graphs are still now being updated. Somebody have an update on that issue ? One key value of ORS is to have access to rather fresh OSM data.

I just tried the same route on Grasshopper and it works no problem, so that site has updated it’s graphs to use the path I cannot route to on ORS

Do you have a link to the way that isn’t being included as we need that to double check if it is a problem in the code or that it wasn’t in OSM at the last build.

As we have changed organisational structure recently we are having to reassess resources that we have to build graphs (it requires a huge amount to build all graphs), and so unfortunately, the new building of graphs has had to be pushed back until we can figure out processes that will hopefully allow new graphs every two weeks. We expect that to be figured out within the upcoming weeks.