Graphhopper vs ORS

I’m currently evaluating different routing engines and looking into Graphhopper and Openrouteservice.

According to the Github README, ORS is based on an older fork of Graphhopper 0.13.

It seems to me that both services offer a similar set of APIs, but have grown apart in terms of shared source code.

Graphhopper’s custom model looks quite interesting for my use-case, because I would like to have dynamic and somewhat complex vehicle profiles.

Does ORS offer something like the custom model? How much of Graphhopper is in ORS?

Thanks!

Sorry for the late response.

ORS uses Graphhopper as its core routing engine. At time of this writing it is based on GH v4.0. You are right in thinking that they are very similar.

Basically all of Graphhopper’s open source code is in ORS, but not all of GH’s features are integrated into the ORS API. It is usually easy to extend ORS with a GH feature when needed.

In addition ORS provides an open source implementation of Matrix and the CoreALT algorithm (useful for routing with restrictions).

Custom profiles are not yet provided through the API, however, they are on our wish-list.

Best regards

1 Like