Docker install on Windows - how to avoid using ors-config.json

I’ve read in a few places that ors-config.json is supported but not recommended as it’s the ‘old’ config style: see Configuration | openrouteservice documentation or Running with Docker | openrouteservice documentation

However I don’t see how to access ./docker/conf/ors-config.yml on my Windows version of docker / ors.

I generally find the instructions hard to follow for non-linux users, but I have eventually found that this windows command gets the job done after I’ve executed docker pull openrouteservice/openrouteservice:

> docker run -dt --name ors-app -p 8080:8080 -v C:/OpenRouteService/graphs:/home/ors/ors-core/data/graphs -v C:/OpenRouteService/elevation_cache:/home/ors/ors-core/data/elevation_cache -v C:/OpenRouteService/logs/ors:/home/ors/ors-core/logs/ors -v C:/OpenRouteService/logs/tomcat:/home/ors/tomcat/logs -v C:/OpenRouteService/conf:/home/ors/ors-conf -v "C:\OpenRouteService\custom.pbf":/home/ors/ors-core/data/osm_file.pbf -e “JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -server -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=75 -XX:SurvivorRatio=64 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=3 -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -Xms2g -Xmx4g” -e “CATALINA_OPTS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9001 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.rmi.port=9001 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=localhost” openrouteservice/openrouteservice:latest

I more or less understand the first half of these parameters, but I don’t understand the stuff after the pbf file, including the Java/sun commands. Is it possible that these are creating the old style json config (which appears in "C:\OpenRouteService\conf\ors-config.json")? How would I amend this windows command to create the yml instead of the json? Thank you

Hi @johntdata,

try using the nightly image. Ther current latest image is heavily outdated…
docker pull openrouteservice/openrouteservice:nightly

Best regards

1 Like

Thanks @amandus , I didn’t know that option existed, will try it! I noticed on this page https://github.com/GIScience/openrouteservice it says

Only use nightly (main branch) if you know what you do. We recommend running docker compose with the latest release version:

Is it possible that the heavily outdated version might get replaced any time soon? Thanks