Can I include 'construction' roads?

Hi,

It seems like by default openrouteservice will avoid ‘construction’ roads (which makes sense).

Is there any way to overwrite this to allow construction roads? Might seem like a strange request but this would allow for planning a route once the road under construction has been opened.

Thanks!

Hi,
unfortunately, at the moment we do not offer the use of planned roads for routing. This might, however, change at some point as we are currently working on resolving such temporal restrictions to give an option to query for a route on a defined date in the future.

Could you maybe provide an example of such a road under construction which you would like to use for planning your route?

Cheers,
Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,

Thanks for the quick response.

There is a large construction site here, with a link road which has been marked ‘construction’:

I’m not sure in OSM if ‘construction’ means ‘under construction’ or a ‘construction vehicle route’…possibly could be either in different contexts. I noticed there is also a ‘proposed’ category - which could be a planned road which is not yet under construction or may not be developed.

Either way I think there is a use case (albeit an uncommon one) - such as directing construction vehicles or deliveries into a construction site.

working on resolving such temporal restrictions to give an option to query for a route on a defined date in the future.

This would be awesome - curious to see how OSM handles temporal changes (e.g. new roads).

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,
thank you for your feedback! highway=construction indicates a road under construction as described by the OSM wiki. However, in order to be able to potentially include in in routes planned ahead for the future it is necessary to know the date at which a construction site is expected to be completed. Unfortunately in this particular case the opening_date tag is missing.

Cheers,
Andrzej

Ok thats great. We would be able to add opening_date information - there are a number of updates we want to make to this area anyway.

Is there an estimate at this time for when the routing by date functionality may be incorporated?

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks! This new feature requires substantial amount of work, so realistically it won’t be available before end of 2019, early 2020.

Ok thats good to know. I am hoping we can workaround for now. Appreciate the fast response and look forward to this being added in future.