BT postcodes not returning correct location

Hi,

We have been using results from the geocoder to obtain distances between two postcodes. We noticed that some distances seemed way off (ranging from 3000 - 18000 miles for a commute). All of the of the anomalous results had postcodes beginning with BT (Belfast, Ireland).
When searching for the postcodes in the geocoder API manually the pinpoints are all over the globe from South America to Africa.

It has been fine for all other UK postcodes, just wondering if there is something we are missing, or something we could do differently, to obtain the correct coordinates from the geocoder, for addresses in Northern Ireland?

Thanks for your help, kind regards -

William

Hey,

as you might have seen, we were recently experiencing issues with our geocoder and had to rebuild the underlying databases.

It seems that in that process, one of the import processes failed to read the data. That means we’ll have to re-build and re-read the data, which will unfortunately take a while.

You’ll either have to be patient and wait until our geocoder is back or look around for an alternative for the time being.

Best regards

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, that’s fine, I was aware of the recent geocoder issues. Just wanted to touch base and see if this was something you were aware of/was being looked at. I appreciate this has probably been a bit of nightmare for you!
I know this is probably going to be dependant on a number of factors and it is a rubbish question to ask, but don’t suppose you would be able to offer a hypothetical time frame we might be able to expect full restoration of the databases?
Thanks a lot for your time

1 Like

Hey,

yeah, it’s been a bit rough :wink:
We’ll announce this again via the forum, but don’t eexpect it to be this week.
We’re hoping to get it running again some time next week, but yes, it’s dependant on a lot of things and could take longer.

Best regards

1 Like