Average Speed for Isochrones. Emergency vehicles

Hi all,

I have an API-KEY and want to calculate accessibility isochrones for emergency vehicles. Some time ago this was relatively easy, because the average speed was still configurable. I have a large data set to calculate a valid average speed of emergency vehicles. At disaster.openrouteservice.org the option is still available. However, it is limited to Africa, South America and Indonesia.

Currently I am using the API in QGIS. I would also have the possibility to access it via R or other tools. Is there a way to get the average speed option back. Alternatively the implementation of a profile “emergency vehicle” would be possible.

I’ve read the appropriate topics in the forum and I know that the normal vehicle profile takes into account speed limits or speed restrictions depending on road classification. However, the isochrones calculated with the normal vehicle profile are simply too small compared to the real behaviour of the emergency vehicles and my alternative isochrones calculation based on higher speeds.

Maybe there is a way to cover this with your API. Would the commercial version be a way to realize this. Otherwise I am actually quite satisfied with the results.

Best regards
Robin

Hi,

there is no commercial version of ORS. And while this option will come back very soon (@andrzej can say more about that), it will only be restricted for roads with higher speed limits, I think minimum 80 km/h. For all roads slower than that it won’t be possible to set a max speed.

If you really need it, you can go back a few ORS versions and install yourself. I think ORS v4.7 was the last one to have that option. Correct me if I’m wrong @andrzej.

Dear Robin, dear Nils,

I think you are talking about two slightly different things. What Robin needs is the option to increase the average speed, possibly even over the legal limit. What @nils is referring to, however, is the maximum speed limit which sets a certain threshold while still obeying any legal limits or restrictions based on road classification. Unfortunately, we currently don’t offer a solution to the former. The latter feature is indeed in our development pipeline and will be released soon. It will allow you to select a certain maximum speed, say 80km/h on roads which normally have a higher speed assignment based on legal situation and road properties. For more details see #480.

@Robin, in order to address your use case you would probably need to implement a dedicated emergency profile based on the VehicleFlagEncoder, you might use HGV as a template.

Cheers,
Andrzej

Ooops, you’re right :sweat_smile: thanks for clarification @andrzej

Hi Nils, hi Andrzej,

Thank you for your answers. So the only possibility for me at the moment would be to install the current ORS version myself and create my own “emergency vehicle” profile based on the HGV template. Phew, that sounds pretty elaborate for my skills. It’s hard for me to estimate how complicated the setup of an ORS server is.

Thanks anyway for now!
Robin

No worries @nils!

Actually, now I realize that @Robin was asking about the isochrones endpoint rather than directions. AFAIK the current production algorithm is based on plain Dijkstra, so it should be technically feasible to offer some sort of speed adjustment, e.g. as a simple scaling factor.

Not sure why the option available at disaster.openrouteservice.org has been removed from the API. However, I think that this feature worked anyway as a maximum speed threshold and not the way @Robin is interested in.

Maybe our isochrones expert @HendrikLeuschner has some additional thoughts :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Andrzej

Hi,

Isochrones currently work with plain Dijkstra. If you have a profile that fulfills your requirements, you should be able to use it for isochrones as well. In case you decide to set up your own instance, you can also increase the isochrone limit if you wish.
I am not aware of an average speed option on the disaster ors.

Cheers