Installing/hosting openrouteservice locally

Is there any documentation/tutorial to setup openrouteservice locally on my ubuntu server. I want to serve a route service for my city but i don’t want to use docker, so, I was wondering if there is any documentation for setting up locally on my own server? Or can you list out the dependencies i should work out/install beforehand.

Thanks in Advance!

The instructions in our repo are not enough for you?

It’s just Java, maven & Tomcat8, if I’m not mistaken. But the dependencies are really in the instructions as well.

I have followed exact instructions written in the document provided, but still getting status not ready, I am using ubunutu 18.04. I only skipped the Java Heap size adjustment part. can you point me to something where I can resolve this problem.

Well, that’s already a very good start! So, you can reach the API.

Which OSM extent are you trying to load? It can take a few hours up to a few days, depending on the size, in which case you’d have to increase the heap size. Likely it failed during loading. What does catalina.out log say?

I am using azerbiajan.osm.pbf, i could not find where catalina.out is located except catalina.properties is present.
plus as I am not an expert in java environment it’s unclear to me how, to set CATALINA_OPTS for JMX monitoring. Anyways i skipped that part and was able to go through and got stuck at status not ready, I have closed the windows and terminal several times in between thinking its an error. Do, I have to keep the terminal and browser window running?

OK, if you’re not well versed with Java, I’d recommend you stick to the installation instructions and ideally you stick to Docker as well. The overhead is minimal and it’s a whole lot easier to handle for starters.

Of course you have to start tomcat8 in the background. If you start in the foreground and close the terminal, obviously Tomcat is closing too… Please consult the Tomcat/catalina logs… /var/logs/tomcat8 (if not there, you’ll have to find out where your tomcat logs are)

Other than that, we can’t provide much more support. You’ll have to get familiar with Linux, server environments and a little Java. Or post on SO, as it’s likely not a ORS specific issue.

well sorry for the troubles, but i am getting the following error when trying to run docker.

command

sudo docker-compose up -d
Recreating ors-app ... 
Recreating ors-app ... error

ERROR: for ors-app  Cannot start service ors-app: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint ors-app (a8b63d7436c3957fab16f6204457beb32829db581af90389b43be97cfd23e170): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:8080: bind: address already in use

ERROR: for ors-app  Cannot start service ors-app: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint ors-app (a8b63d7436c3957fab16f6204457beb32829db581af90389b43be97cfd23e170): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:8080: bind: address already in use
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

Any help regarding this issue.

Well, it’s exactly what it’s saying: port 8080 is already in use. By whatever, Wordpress or smth.

So, adjust the published port in ORS docker-compose.yml, fixed.

Please start using Google to help yourself. It’s way better for your own development believe me.